12/20/09

So since I basically just use this blog to talk about what old games I'm playing

I figured I'd talk about Mickey's Ultimate Challenge, which I blasted through in about 30 minutes yesterday. I used to have this game for Gameboy when I was a kid, but yesterday I was playing the SNES rom, so I'll talk about that.

At 30 minutes (I cheated a little, more on that later), this is a pretty shitty purchase for someone to make back in the day. I guess that's passable for Gameboy. Gameboy cartridges are pretty small, so unless you're playing Link's Awakening or Final Fantasy Adventure or something, you're probably not expecting a full-length game. Mickey's Ultimate Challenge, on the other hand, is literally a direct port from SNES to Gameboy. Or Gameboy to SNES, depending on how you look at it.

For those of you who haven't played it, basically what you're paying for is a handful of... I don't even know. I want to say they're like the games that come with your computer, but Windows computers come with Solitaire and other weird bullshit nobody likes like Spider Solitaire, so that's not really true. Basically think of the most badass games available on Windows the day 3.1 came out, besides Hover. Anyway, that's what you have here, all connected by Mickey Mouse dragging his ass (And I mean dragging) around a castle in his dreamworld.

The first game I played, actually, was the only game that really broke from this mold. I don't know what I'd call this game. The goal is to alphabetize some guy's books. I guess he's the castle librarian or something. Anyway, you do this by jumping round like an idiot on a bunch of blue books, and every so often a brown book with a letter on it will come by. You're supposed to jump on these books in alphabetical order, which is no problem if you graduated kindergarten. The only problem is that what letters show up is completely random, so you might be starting on J or something and not know it until you've been hopping around for a while. It's definitely doale, just a little annoying since the guy keeps his alphabet books over a bottomless pit

Next we have.... a block shoving puzzle, I guess. So this is basically... uh.. I don't know. I'm trying to think off a game to compare it to. It's really common, but I can't think of any by name. Anyway, this one's decent, just don't push any buttons or you'll reset that shit and scream and stomp your feet.

On the main floor of the castle there's Simon and Concentration but nobody cares about those games so they can deal without having their own screenshots.

Last of the immediately available games is Mastermind with Goofy. It's Mastermind, but with more in-depth clues in the early levels. I ended up cheating on this one because I had no idea what the hell clues he was giving me on the third part. I guess part of the longevity of the game is based on how many times you have to repeat shit, because that's how you want to know you've gotten your money's worth, right?

After you beat all the games, you get a bunch of random items to distribute around the castle. You trade the items for beans, and your ultimate prize is that you get to go do a slider puzzle. This easily took me as much time as the rest of the game combined, because I fucking hate slider puzzles and so should you. After you finish the puzzle, Mickey wakes up and it was all a dream. Wooooo yeah.

I honestly don't think I'd know this game even existed if I hadn't owned the Gameboy port. I never beat it on Gameboy because I guess I was an idiot. Like I said before it's literally a carbon copy of the SNES version, just with downgraded graphics. Anyway, I'll try to focus on a more popular game next time. I'm still playing Castlevania III, but Death is a fuck and makes it hard to progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment